CHURCHES TOGETHER IN DORKING
‘Forever Reign’ – Worship Event at St Paul’s Dorking on 26 November at 6.30 pm.
An evening of worship, encounter and ministry. All welcome.
For more detail, see St Paul’s website www.stpaulsdorking.org.uk
OFFICERS ELECTED AT THE JANUARY 2017 AGM:
Chairman: Father Tony Milner (RC)
Vice-Chairman: Rosemary Elias (Quakers) and
Secretary: Debs Bunn (Anglican, St Martin's)
The Treasurer continues to be Tim Golding (Free Evangelical)
Elizabeth Dobson continues as a trustee of CTD, along with Revd Paul Gough and Paul Crozier (both Crossways), whilst Rosemary Elias replaces Peter Essex.
Revd David Bedford (URC) is the Chaplain for Dorking Community Hospital.
Dorking Area Foodbank
Details of items particularly needed at any time are listed in the weekly church news.
It’s now two years since the Dorking Area Foodbank opened its doors for the very first time. In those 24 months, we’ve provided over 2100 emergency food parcels – of which 890 went to feed children. We are seeing an increasing level of demand and have had some very busy afternoons in the Distribution Centre recently (as well as some quiet ones – the volunteers never know quite what to expect!). Our umbrella organisation, the Trussell Trust which runs over 400 foodbanks across the UK, is 20 years old this year. They are reporting increasing numbers too, with over a million food parcels given out in 2016/17. The Trust is running a national initiative tagged #more than food and locally we are offering additional services to help our clients address the problems which have led them to the foodbank. An advisor from Citizens Advice now attends most sessions at the Distribution Centre and provides advice across a range of issues from benefit problems to housing. In addition, the foodbank is working with the local branch of CAP, a Christian organisation which has a great track record in helping people with debt problems.
The officers work alongside ordained and lay representatives from most churches in and near Dorking.
Here's a random example of what we do or have in mind.
We support the Beatitudes shop in St Martin's Walk
- We also support the Besom project, providing relief of poverty with various goods
- We organise free First Aid courses
- We are the vehicle for local Christian Aid and Disasters Emergency collections
- We organise or promote a variety of local church services round the year
- We make sure everyone locally knows what's going on in our churches at Christmas
- We organise a Walk of Witness for hundreds each Good Friday
- We support the United Reformed Church's Holiday at Home programme in August
- We work with Churches of Dorking Housing Association Ltd
- We communicate on facebook (CTDorking group) and twitter @ctdorking
- We help set up election hustings for parliamentary candidates to answer Christian questions
- We are a vehicle whereby one church can advertise its events to all
- We send out for help to other churches when one church needs it
- We liaise with Christians Against Poverty
- We also liaise with Surrey Faith Links
- We're listed as both a limited company and a charity to facilitate our actions
CTD has a Twitter account (@ctdorking) and a Facebook group (CTDorking)
The Foodbank also has a Facebook page (dorkingareafoodbank)